Seeing as I began this whole journey to better gut health while I was still living in the capital city of bagels I'd have to say the hardest thing to quit were morning bagels with cream cheese and a hot coffee. I was craving bagels and cream cheese like no other and while I haven't perfected a bagel that is not only gluten free but also yeast free, I am seriously happy with this cream cheese! I found it on Flour Child. You do need to think ahead and soak the cashews for at least 6 hours or overnight so that they blend as smoothly as possible.
1 1/4 cup of soaked cashews
1 tbsp. of fresh chopped dill (finely chopped)
3 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
1. Think ahead, soak the cashews before you go to bed if you want this cream cheese included in your breakfast. If you forget, soak them when you wake up ready for an afternoon snack, not only does this make them soft enough for blending to a smooth paste but it actually boosts their nutritional value and will allow your body to absorb the nutrients better. It is also good practice for any nut as they begin to get rancid as soon as they lose their shell and cashews are particularly bad for this which is why they are not recommended on the candida cleanse. To further reduce the mould content, add lemon juice to the water.
2. When they have been soaked they will be very soft and rubbery so you know those bad boys are going to blend well!
3. Now place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and turn the speed up slowly to incorporate. You may need to scrape down the sides, and possibly add a tablespoon of water if you aren't getting a smooth consistency. Once you see the texture of regular cream cheese, you are good and done.
4. The dill flavour is just wonderful and to jazz it up you can add Unicorn Superfood's natural food colouring, ideally served with bagels of course but makes a great addition to lettuce wraps or atop of any pasta dish.
5. Store in a jar for up to 2 weeks